Substance Abuse Professional (SAP)
Requirements & Testing Information
One area of advanced practice for EA professionals in the U.S. who have obtained the CEAP credential is providing substance abuse professional (SAP) services as defined by the U.S. Department of Transportation regulations found in 49 CFR, part 40
. Employee assistance and SAP services are similar but
with very important differences!
You must become an expert in the details of these regulations to successfully pass the SAP Exam and function as a SAP.
1) Find out
if you have the required credentials to begin the process.
2) Read the entire 49 CFR, part 40, Subpart O
and the Substance Abuse Professional Guidelines
published by the United States Department of Transportation.
3) Attend 12 hours of qualification training.
4) Take and pass the SAP Exam administered by EAPA.
5) To remain SAP qualified, take an additional 12 hours of CFR Part 40 specific training every three years.
For additional information, visit the Substance Abuse Professional General Information
section of the Department of Transportation's Office of Drug & Alcohol Policy & Compliance.
EAPA's SAP Exam
- is affordable;
- covers all of CFR part 40, including modal rules, Subpart O and Substance Abuse Professional Guidelines;
contains 50 multiple choice questions;
- draws question content exclusively from CFR part 40; and
- the question style is 100% recall. Know the regulations!
To Take EAPA's DOT/SAP Qualifying Examination:
- Purchase access (below)
- Wait to receive a hard copy of the exam in the mail.
- Mail back to EAPA for scoring.
- Successful candidates will receive their certificates in the mail.