Overview of Legacy CEAP Exam Certification Process
- Register as a CEAP candidate (Must have been completed prior to October 31, 2021)
- Complete CEAP exam eligibility requirements (Prior to June 30, 2022)
- Apply and pass the CEAP Exam (Prior to June 30, 2022)
Overview of Legacy CEAP Exam Certification Requirements
To earn the CEAP® credential, all candidates must complete:
- 1,000 hours and 1 year of work experience in an EA setting (Internal EA Program/ Contracted Affiliate Provider.) Definition of Accepted EAP work experience: Employment (and/or internship) by a work organization’s internal employee assistance program or by an external EAP vendor; or affiliation by contract with an EAP to provide services to individual or organizational EAP clients.
- Professional Development Hours (PDHs) across three Domains of Knowledge - (20 Hours if Masters Degree or higher; 60 Hours all other candidates) Please Note: You must take courses that have been EACC approved for PDHs. Any other continuing education credits/units/contact hours are not accepted for initial certification.
- A CEAP® candidate-specific ethics course - Elevating Ethical Awareness
Legacy CEAP Exam Certification Fees
Certification fees may be paid in advance, or with the corresponding step in the initial certification process. Certification is not complete until the candidate has met all all eligibility requirements, passed the CEAP® exam, and paid all certification fees. View Certification Fee Schedule.
EAPA membership is not required to earn or maintain certification. However, EAPA members can save up to $225 on certification fees. Additional discounts are available to members who earn professional development hours through EAPA.
Applying for the CEAP® Exam
Once you have completed all requirements, you may apply to take the exam. To apply, please click here, or download and submit this application.
Your application should include:
- A letter, signed by a supervisor or yourself (if in private practice), stating that you have completed 1,000 hours and 1 year of experience within an EA setting/administering EA services.
- Copies of all PDH certificates completing your requirements in all three Domains and Ethics.
- A photocopy of your Master’s degree, if applicable.
- Your CEAP Exam Fee. ($295 EAPA Member Rate / $395 Non Member Rate)
Please Note: Once your complete CEAP application package AND CEAP examination fee has been received, it will be reviewed with the next batch and you will be notified of your status upon review. Please allow 2-3 weeks minimum for review.
The CEAP® Exam
Once your application has been approved, you will receive an email authorizing you to take the Online CEAP Examination, with instructions on accessing the online exam. You will have until June 30, 2022 to take the exam; you may take the exam at any time of your choosing. All that is required is a computer and stable internet connection.
There are two versions of the exam:
1. CEAP - offered in the U.S. for candidates practicing under U.S. law; and
2. CEAP-I - offered for international candidates (excludes U.S. law.) The CEAP-I is offered in English. A Japanese and Mandarin version is available for groups as a written administration.
After the Exam
If you have passed the exam, you will need to activate your certification by paying your Activation fee. EAPA Member Rate $225 / Non Member Rate $325. To pay your final certification fee, please click here. Once all fees have been paid, you will receive your new certificate within 6-8 weeks.
If you failed the exam, you may reapply to take the exam after 90 days. (Keep in mind that the CEAP Examination will be retired on June 30, 2022). To reapply, please submit this application and pay your testing fee. If you are still within your 3-year candidacy period, no additional documentation is required.
The CEAP® is an experience-based certification. Conversations with others in the profession are strongly encouraged. Attend EAPA chapter or branch meetings, EAP conferences, and contact active CEAPs to learn more about the profession.
Exam Prep Resources:
REMINDER: The Legacy CEAP Exam will be phased out on June 30, 2022. CEAP Candidates wishing to take the CEAP Exam must do so before then.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org