CEAP Refresh FAQs
- Why did we change the process to become a CEAP?
Five years ago, the EACC began collecting data to assess the viewpoints of current Certificate holders about their CEAP® certification and its role in their professional work. Responses indicated that some of the requirements, especially the ones related to experience, posed an obstacle to applicants since employers often look for the credential in making hiring decisions. The EACC listened to this feedback, and changed the process to ensure ease of access for a variety of applicants who may have limited opportunities to gain direct EA experience.
- Who is eligible to become a CEAP?
Several new pathways to become a CEAP will exist, speaking to the field’s rich history of including professionals in behavioral health as well as those in labor assistance and peer assistance. The four pathways in the CEAP Refresh are as follows:
- Masters with Experience
- No Masters with Experience
- Masters with No Experience
- No Bachelors/No Masters and No Experience
Details of these pathways and requirements can be found by clicking here.
- What does the new process look like?
The CEAP Refresh is modular and learning-based. Candidates will have the opportunity to complete the modules and end-of-module assessments in a self-paced manner. Candidates will have up to one month to complete each module. The five modules are presented in PowerPoint fashion with voice-overs and opportunities to click on articles and videos to enhance learning.
- What will the modules cover?
The modules include Domains I, II, and III, and are broken down as follows:
- Module One - EAP Fundamentals (covers Domain I)
- Module Two - Compliance and Ethics (covers Domain I)
- Module Three - EAP Assessment and Risk Management (covers Domains I, II, III)
- Module Four - Organizational Services and Optional EAP Support (covers Domain II)
- Module Five - Program Management and Applying Innovation to the Field (covers Domain I)
- Will I get PDHs for completing the modules?
The 5 modules are worth a total of 20 PDHs upon completion. In addition, if you already have a CEAP, you have the option of purchasing one or more modules to earn PDHs toward your CEAP recertification requirements (60 hours every 3 years).
- Why is mentorship being included?
The EA profession has a rich history of professionals that have done some amazing work at the intersection of life and work. But no one can be a fully competent EA professional without some connections to those who have come before them. As a result, mentorship is designed to help CEAP candidates:
- Broaden experience and perspective
- Navigate the complexity of EA practice
- Develop a habit of consultation
- Help with practice questions
- Avoid common mistakes in early practice
- Utilize knowledge transfer.
- How will mentorship work?
CEAP candidates with a post-module experience requirement will be able to earn up to 24 mentorship hours in any given year through a virtual group format. These group meetings are designed as conversations about EA-related topics, and mentees are encouraged to come prepared with questions about the topic and about the mentors’ experiences.
- Who are the mentors?
Mentors are current CEAP holders with EA knowledge, experience, and desire to guide the learning and development of others entering into the profession. If you are currently a CEAP, and would like to offer your time and expertise as a mentor, please standby for more information in the coming months.
- I am already a CEAP. How does the CEAP refresh impact me?
Current CEAPs will no longer have the option for renewal through testing, but will still be able to renew through PDHs. You will also have the option of purchasing one or more modules to earn PDHs toward your recertification (60 hours every 3 years).
Additionally, current CEAPs are encouraged to share their knowledge and experience with those entering the profession through volunteering to serve as a mentor and endorsing the CEAP with others contemplating entry into the field (please standby for more information in the coming months).
- I have a question not answered above?
Contact email@example.com for more assistance.
- More Links
CEAP Refresh Introduction Page
CEAP Candidate Information Page